[Foundation-l] Voting requirements for community selected seats (Was: unable to vote)

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 02:05:37 UTC 2008

Lars,

The distinction is that the community board members will represent the
community, of which you are a member, but you are not the sole member.
To my knowledge, no board candidate has said that they represent Lars.
Rather, they wish to represent a community of which Lars is a member.
That is a key difference. There is an intervening layer there.
Consider the following:

Lars hypothetically believes that the sky is blue and the earth is
flat. The community, of which Lars is a member, believes many things,
but the majority of the community believes that the sky is blue and
the earth is round. A board member in a community seat represents the
community, and believes that the sky is red, and the earth is round.
However, in his role as a board member, he votes in favor of the sky
being blue, and the earth being round. In that vote, he has
represented the community as a whole, which includes you as a member,
while not representing you in one particular aspect of your views.

Representation does not mean that actions are done on your personal
behalf, or even with your personal approval. It means that there is a
representative to whom you can offer your voice and have the
opportunity to be heard, and his authority is derived from the voices
of the people he is representing. It means that actions are taken on
the collective behalf of the community, which may result in actions
being taken that you don't support. Such is the way with membership in
any community. I don't agree with actions taken by the the U.S.
Government. That doesn't mean that I am not represented in the U.S.
Government. It means that the actions taken are not my preferred ones,
but (in theory, not that this happens in the U.S. Government anyway)
they are the preferred action of the community that the taker
represents.

-Dan