[Foundation-l] (easy) SUL questions

Simetrical Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 21:11:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 4:17 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) is this text currently correct? What should be added to it?
> "At this time, you must create an account on for each new project you
> wish to work on. This is changing with the introduction in mid-2008 of
> single-user login, where users can link their existing accounts across
> all Wikimedia projects."

It's entirely incorrect.  At this time, you may create an account on
any project, and if no one else has used that name on any Wikimedia
project, you can register it for global use on all wikis immediately.
Logging out and then back in (or maybe not even that) will cause you
to be logged in on all wikis.

> 2) in future, will people be able to create just one account on a
> project and be able to log in with it on all of the projects? Or will
> new users still have to manually create their account (using the same
> name) on each wiki they wish to work on?

There's no "in future" about it.  It's in place now.

> 3) After SUL is fully deployed, when users create a new account (on,
> say, the english wikipedia) will that name automatically be 'reserved'
> for use on all Wikimedia wikis? [if so, when will this happen?]

Yes.  This will probably happen shortly, in the next couple of months,
I suppose.  Currently, the name is only reserved when you visit
Special:MergeAccount; in the future, that step will be skipped.

> 3) is there a preferred name for SUL yet? Single-user login? Unified
> login? Others?

Don't think so, really.

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:44 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know if the plan for the future (after existing accounts
> are sorted out) is to have names be reserved when you register them
> anywhere, though?

Yes, of course.  Accounts will be automatically unified on account
creation in the (probably not-too-distant) future.  I imagine this
hasn't yet been done only because we want a gradual rollout so any
problems can be spotted before they become too serious.