[Foundation-l] Voting

Kwan Ting Chan ktc at ktchan.info
Sun Jun 1 22:47:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 16:54 -0400, Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> It wasn't for me, and I was voting. That page just says "You can do X
> to rank your candidates. We'll pick em with the Schulze method" But
> never actually says WHAT the schulze method is. It just says go view
> the Wikipedia page, which for me was completely incomprehensible.
> Actually you know where I found the best description, was on the
> Condorcet voting article. It explains it in pretty basic terms, but I
> think they could be generalized even farther:
> -----
> Rank candidates in terms of preference. First choice is 1, second is
> 2, etc. Unranked candidates have a rank of 100, which is the lowest
> possible rank. You may give multiple candidates the same rank if you
> choose.

Something along those lines are already in the interface.

> When you submit your ballot, each candidate's preference will be
> compared with each other candidate's preference, to see which one
> would win in a "one on one" race. The candidate that would win the
> most "one on one races" is the winner. For example, If you ranked
> candidates A,B,C,D in the order 1, 2, 3, 4, then A would be the
> winner, because A beat out three other candidates (B,C,D). B would
> beat 2 other candidates, C would beat 1, and D would not beat any.
>
> In the event of a tie, where the system is unable to determine a
> winner, the system will then drop the candidates who won by the
> narrowest margins until there is a winner.

When I first modified the software & interface, I got criticised for
having _too much_ technical information in there that are confusing,
hard for translator to translate, ...... So it was toned down, now the
criticism is that there's not enough information there.

The community need to decide on which side it want to come down on and
stick to it.

KTC

  - Heinrich Heine