[Foundation-l] Voting

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 20:54:52 UTC 2008

It wasn't for me, and I was voting. That page just says "You can do X
to rank your candidates. We'll pick em with the Schulze method" But
never actually says WHAT the schulze method is. It just says go view
the Wikipedia page, which for me was completely incomprehensible.
Actually you know where I found the best description, was on the
Condorcet voting article. It explains it in pretty basic terms, but I
think they could be generalized even farther:
-----
Rank candidates in terms of preference. First choice is 1, second is
2, etc. Unranked candidates have a rank of 100, which is the lowest
possible rank. You may give multiple candidates the same rank if you
choose.

When you submit your ballot, each candidate's preference will be
compared with each other candidate's preference, to see which one
would win in a "one on one" race. The candidate that would win the
most "one on one races" is the winner. For example, If you ranked
candidates A,B,C,D in the order 1, 2, 3, 4, then A would be the
winner, because A beat out three other candidates (B,C,D). B would
beat 2 other candidates, C would beat 1, and D would not beat any.

In the event of a tie, where the system is unable to determine a
winner, the system will then drop the candidates who won by the
narrowest margins until there is a winner.
------

Is that about correct?

-Dan