[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 16:30:29 UTC 2008

>> How could you add SA, for example, without being the original
>> licensor, for importing to Wikipedia?
>
> The SA license would apply to the derivative work.  The non-SA license
> would apply to the original work.  You aren't "adding SA", you're
> creating a new work, and licensing that new work under SA.

That's my understanding as well. There's nothing stopping a bit of
content being available under multiple licenses. In this case it's
available under CC-BY as a stand-alone work and GFDL as part of a
large work. I don't see any problem with that. There's nothing
stopping people using the original work under the original license
just because you've used it under a more restrictive one.