[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 12:54:04 UTC 2008

2008/7/29 mboverload <mboverloadlister at gmail.com>:

> Knol is basically a way for people to cut and paste and make ad money with
> no effort.
> I don't know of any good solutions, or if we even need any solutions.  If we
> start harping on Knol then people will think we are "the man" and too
> uptight.  "Knowledge should be free, right?"

We can and should (and, AFAIK, do) heartily support the CC-BY default
license. Because that's free content, and supporting that wherever it
springs up and making proper free content licenses the *expected
default* for reference works is 100% in line with WMF's mission.
Without us having to do the actual work!

- d.