[Foundation-l] Knol: on the bright side of things...

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 12:53:20 UTC 2008

I am going to suggest the heretical proposition that we have
everything to gain by changing our licensing so export to them under
their present policies (or some attainable modification of them) is
interpreted as being within our license, even if it allows the
creation of unfree derivatives, and accepts a link to a Wikipedia
article as adequate author designation for previously contributed
content.  (I am aware of the difficulties in making the transition)

The principle I suggest is that the increase in freely accessible
content is more important that the principle of libre
publication--that we are more likely to add to the existing structure
of publication in the world than to replace it.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Knol allow us to track massive copyright violations.
>

> Example:
> http://knol.google.com/k/knol/system/knol/pages/Search?nodeId=32qv6k5e4j8yx.0#
>
> This author copied a collection of french speaking wikipedia articles.
> All are taggued cc by 3.0.
>
> Now, if you go to this one for example:
> http://knol.google.com/k/maxime-seligman/thalassothrapie/32qv6k5e4j8yx/13#
>
> On the right hand side, you'll see
>
> Similar Content on the Web
>
> spa.fr 100%
> distanteyes.net 100%
> wikipedia.org 100%
>
> So, I clicked on distanteyes...
> http://distanteyes.net/la-thalassotherapie.html?00ae24bc0e7eeb85a75e1e95743234ab=5915bde6e3eed210f82d1ea04d09e61c
>
> 100% copied from Wikipedia. No licence, no mention of Wikipedia, no link.
>
> And I clicked on spa.fr
> http://www.spa.fr/la%20balneotherapie%20et%20la%20thalassotherapie.php
> Copyright (c) 2007 La maison du spa
>

> Ant