[Foundation-l] What is on the back of the logo?

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 22 17:58:19 UTC 2008

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net> wrote:
>> We don't need a definitive 3D
>> version, I don't anticipate changing the "official" logo from the
>> two-dimensional one anytime soon.
>
> A good 3D version would be useful because it would allow us to derive
> a good vector version of the logo. ... with the amount of interest in
> the number of toys, schwag, etc, I'd suggest that we do create a
> definitive 3D version.   The most obvious filler for the back would be
> the rest of the "W" letters.

There's been talk about reconstructing the 3D version for a while, mostly
because some of the characters are incorrectly mirrored. Apparently the
original 3D version was lost. So it would be great if someone could fix
that, make a back side, and transfer copyright of the resulting 3D model
to the Foundation.

It's easier to defend the trademark if you have the copyright as well,
which is why the Foundation obtained the copyright for the current logo.

-- Tim Starling