[Foundation-l] A time of transition

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Tue Jul 22 15:27:33 UTC 2008

I've arrived home from Wikimania and am now starting to settle back into
things. Thank you to everyone, whether on this list, privately, or the
many people I spoke with at Wikimania, for your good wishes. I'm sorry I
could not express my appreciation earlier, but as one of the few people
in this world without a laptop it seems, I'm hardly ever online while
traveling.

I'm excited about the future of our projects and that of the Wikimedia
Foundation as an organization, and look forward to seeing what I can do
to help with that as chair of the Board of Trustees. Florence has been a
wonderful example of dedication and commitment in that role. She's a
tough act to follow, and I probably can never match the amount of time
she put into it.

Fortunately, the idea is that I shouldn't have to. By building a strong
staff, the foundation makes it more feasible for board members to
fulfill their responsibilities and still remain volunteers. We're slowly
getting there, even though it will always remain more demanding than
your average board.

The close to two years with Florence as chair involved a lot of changes,
many of them dramatic. The foundation went from having a temporary ED
who also held a separate position, to having no ED at all, then to a
manager without the title, and finally to a full-fledged dedicated ED.
There have been times when the board had to run the organization
directly, which did not work well (no fault of Florence, since without
her effort things would not even have worked as well as they did), while
now we are moving much more toward strategy and oversight, and things
are working significantly better. Hopefully we can continue the
transition in this direction.

--Michael Snow