[Foundation-l] Fonts was: Wikimedia Foundation 2008-2009 Annual Plan

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 08:09:02 UTC 2008

Hoi,
The MediaWiki software supports all scripts that are in UTF-8. This means
that scripts that are not supported in UTF-8 and by inference the languages
that use these scripts are not supported in MediaWiki. We have a request for
one such language; American Sign Language. The people behind SignWriting,
the script that allows ASL to be written, are developing an extension that
will allow for ASL to be used in MediaWiki. It would be optimal when all
scripts find their way in UTF-8.

NB SignWriting is only one out of a multitude of scripts that are not
supported by UTF-8.

The idea of packaging a set of fonts and promoting this to our users is
something I would find REALLY nice :)
Thanks,
     GerardM