[Foundation-l] Fonts was: Wikimedia Foundation 2008-2009 Annual Plan

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 06:27:48 UTC 2008

Hoi,
I like Dejavu. Dejavu at this moment does not cover what we need. We do need
Chinese, Japanese and Korean; to be fair we need more then UTF-8 is able to
offer. What I intended to do is indicate ways of spending money. The
question is how to spend money and how to get the most bang for our buck.

Creating content in for instance the four languages that I singled out,
would be relatively cheap. We can generate a lot of content that will apeal
to the people for whom it is their mother tongue or for whom it is a major
language.

Creating new fonts or making existing fonts Open Source is a worthwhile
goal. We can work on the extension of Dejavu, it is not unlikely that we can
Open Source existing fonts more cheaply. In the end, the real difference is
made when an end user is provided with information in a better way.

In the original thread the argument was about spending money. We should when
it furthers our goal. Fonts is in my opinion one. In the end, when we spend
money we want to have a result. When we are to invest in Dejavu, the work
done has to be welcomed by the people behind Dejavu.

In my opinion, the first order of busines re fonts is getting something out
that is available and free. Esthetics are secondary. When the WMF provides
the funding, it will be heavy lifters doing the work not our volunteers.

Thanks,
      GerardM