[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Implementing the Babel extension

mike.lifeguard mike.lifeguard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 15:05:43 UTC 2008

I don't see how "there are few other templates which could possibly benefit
from this" - isn't that a major issue with license/warning/information
templates and help pages? Indeed, this is a key complaint from third-party
reusers. "Where are the welcome templates? Why isn't there any help
documentation in the wiki?..." As well, for those working cross-wiki,
learning the set of local templates is next to impossible - a standardized
set of translated warnings and informational templates would be golden.

I can certainly list some templates that would be useful on every language
of every project, starting with
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Xwiki-spam-warn and the other
suggestions at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:External_links_policy

There is a fairly easy solution if we want to have a consistent set of babel
templates across all wikis: Special:Export on the templates at meta,
Special:Import on each wiki, and create the appropriate categories. Granted,
there are >700 wikis, but this can be scripted. I would argue that babel
templates, license templates, certain warning templates and a good set of
help pages should all be translated and synced in this way.

As useful as it may seem, making /content/ (which is exactly what babel
templates are) hardcoded is a sub-optimal solution for users, but if you're
going to go this route, it is more useful to do so in a general way.

In the end, I see this as a solution looking for a problem. The real problem
is not babel templates, but rather sharing these templates cross-wiki. If
that's the case, then there are better solutions to the general problem, and
we should pursue those.
Mike