[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia-wide global blocking mechanism?

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 19:06:39 UTC 2008

Eh, I thought than you are proposing some *real* changes ;) (OK, it
was just my initial wish, but I realized the meaning a couple of
moments after.) Here are my thoughts about that:

- Every block longer or equal to 7 days should be Wikimedia-wide.
- The fourth block on two days in, let's say 15 days should be Wikimedia-wide.
- The fourth block on one day in 7 days should be Wikimedia-wide.
- And so on...

So, here is "better" group of reasons:
- If en.wp (or any other approved by WMF) ArbCom decided to block
someone on 1 year, I really don't want to see such person on any other
project.
- If some community decided to block someone on a longer period, it is
probably because of very good reason.
- If someone got N-th consequent block (usually, any consequent block
is higher) on any project, I assume that such person is troll or
whatever-destructive.

But, we have the dark side, too:
- If some ArbCom fails, it would be much more visible to the whole community.
- If some community made some crazy decision only to remove some
person from their project, it would be a global issue.
- If some admin is not reliable, it would be, again, a matter of the
whole community.

Of course, I would be happy with any kind of moving toward this model,
which includes WM-wide IP blocks, too. I would really like to see open
proxies blocked indefinitely because they are much more harmful to the
small projects then to the big ones (yes, Andre, I know that you don't
agree with that ;) ).