[Foundation-l] Wikipedia songs

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:26:23 UTC 2008

Actually, I really like Kat's idea. We could come up with quite a few
"metrics", such as weasel-joules and Pages per Flush,  and come up
with an interesting, yet informative and non-annoying hold message.

I think it would both entertain and not irritate our callers to hear
exactly how big Wikimedia projects are, as expressed in various
metrics. Examples:
* If you were to view every article on every language Wikipedia, it
would take you  X amount of time.
*If you printed out the German Wikipedia, and stretched it out end to
end, it would cover X% of the distance to Mars -- that's Y million
American Football fields, or Z billion soccer pitches.
* A single California Redwood tree can create enough paper to print
out the Esperanto Wikinews twice.
*More people visited the English Wikipedia today then the entire
population of (insert several small countries here).

Not only is it interesting and informative, but the research process
to come up with even baseline answers for these kinds of questions
would be really fun IMHO. While Kat may not want to rough-estimate the
energy output of a crazed weasel, I kind of want to. ;)

-Dan rosenthal