[Foundation-l] communicaton from noise

simonpedia simon at cols.com.au
Tue Jan 29 19:40:49 UTC 2008

Dan Rosenthal HYPERLINK
"mailto:foundation-l%40lists.wikimedia.org?Subject=%5BFoundation-l%5D%20comm
unicaton%20from%20noise&In-Reply-To=6hfmtm%242naam5%40smtp06.syd.iprimus.net
.au"swatjester at gmail.com
on Mon Jan 28 21:09:09 UTC 2008

Said, So says you (while, as I've mentioned before the last 5 or 6 topics
you've started have been weeks outdated). Personally, I find this list
to be an effective method of communication between the foundation and
the community. For all the noise, there is quite a good bit of signal
available on this list.

Dan, dan, Casey, Robert, d, Mark,

Thanks for your feedback. You’d appreciate it is much easier for me now to
separate our signals from this thread’s monthly noise, by just staying on
this domain’s one thread. HYPERLINK
"http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/foundation/118664"http://www.gos
samer-threads.com/lists/wiki/foundation/118664

It’s also a doddle to learn how the (roughly) 300 discussions which
compromise this month are headed, in number of posts, by Luiz’s conversation
“A dangerous precedent”. Each post of which seems to have been read by the
same 104. So we can pretty easily surmise (if I’m interpreting it correctly)
that the Foundation list is not attractive to aliens.

Florence asked me, on another WMF list, about forums. So this seemed to be
the best way to demonstrate how the present elists are antiquated. (I’ll
add, re: this list, primarily due to their success). If you can use your
imagination, and we could combine all the English (i.e. 1 language) elists,
you’d imagine gossamer threads would offer a global view of the subject
conversations which are now divided by list, project and month. The most
attended become evident and “lately posted” rise to the top.

To this I would add similar conversations in other domains, like
Wikieducator, which might find their peers if only the WMF were to take the
same approach to their comms as they do their libraries, and put one thread
down, as a wiki does a page, so the Dan’s of this world weren’t led to
believe we are in a race to fill gaps in as short a time as possible.

Like most social foundations, there is a real problem coming to terms with
the concept of a globalizing.org composed, as they are, of global groups. I
can tell you, Rotary, as one old .org, tried very hard by instituting
eclubs. Unfortunately they divided their domains into chapters, as the WMF
has, so they have never grown legs. Their media represent an old way of
socializing; “Head Office” and “its subsidiaries” being a style that fell
out of favour in multinationals years ago.

So if we are trying, like every other foundation, to be inclusive of people
who would participate if they only knew how, then while the comms
infrastructure at HO is being constructed, could a little thought be given
(especially when configuring Asterik) to the global peer-to-peer network
which will be needed to support them. Thanks.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:59 AM