[Foundation-l] en.WP dysfunction (was: A letter to Wikipedia collides with the non-free content policies)

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 13:40:44 UTC 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 5:41 AM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Who is "them"? They are us, we are you, you are they. The English
> Wikipedia was the first project, it predates the Foundation, it has
> the largest community by far, it is the project that gets the most
> attention, it has the most articles and the highest number of readers.
> It works in English, as does this list. These things explain far more
> clearly why Foundation-l gets turfed Wikipedia problems than the idea
> that en.wiki users are whiney pukes who need rational parents to step
> in. The anti-English Wikipedia sentiment sometimes found on this list
> does no one any credit.

Just take a step back and read again the description of this list (it
is at http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l  for
your convenience).

Read also http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists#Wikimedia_Foundation_mailing_list
 especially the sentence "Posting in languages other than English is
welcome, although English is a language most of the audience can
understand. Multilingual posts (where the poster repeats the same text
in another language) are also welcome."

And then, please reconsider whether it is so clear that and why
en.wikipedia should have any "predominance" on foundation-l. The
German Wikipedia is the second largest project and, in relation to its
'rank', it is hardly ever present on foundation-l. Same goes for
French Wikipedia etc. etc.  Astounding, is it not?

Michael