[Foundation-l] A simple question on languages.

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 11:58:06 UTC 2008

65,000 is indeed only slightly more doable. It's still totally
ridiculous, though, considering I can go to the old stats from
Ethnologue and figure out how many languages have over 65,000
speakers. If I recall correctly the number for over 1 million speakers
alone is 200, so I'm guessing it would be in the thousands.

Mark

On 23/01/2008, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  99.9999% is harder since groups of say 10K are going to have more of an impact.
>
> If my maths is right, 99.9999% of the world's populations leaves about
> 6,500 people that we can not cater to - a group of 10K that only speak
> one language would require us to cater for their language.
>
> If Greg actually meant 99.999%, which his later email would
> suggestion, then it's 65,000, which is slightly more doable.

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.