[Foundation-l] A simple question on languages.

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:20:51 UTC 2008

Hoi,
It is an irrelevant question. Research has shown that kids that learn to
write in their mother tongue first will do better academically. As our aim
is to provide educational content, it makes a difference to be aware of
this. When people apply to start a project in a language new to the WMF, it
is accepted under certain criteria. The criteria do not consider that there
is a finite number of languages that we support. Otherwise we might have had
to prevent new projects in the past because they would not fit in your
minimum number of languages. I am afraid that the aim of your question is to
maximise the number of languages that the WMF supports.

So I disagree where you say that it is an important question I would even
suggest that the languages that do not have a big reach do not cost us much
but have an inverse value to their cost. You may find that as a resource
they are of an extreme value. In my opinion good information in more
languages makes what we do more valuable not less valuable.
Thanks.
     GerardM