[Foundation-l] Seeking clarification

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 23:36:14 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Consider please what the WMF is, it is the organisation that makes our
projects possible. It does the hosting, it provides the framework that
allows our projects, our communities to thrive. It is however the projects,
the communities that make a project work or not. It is not for the
foundation to make a project work. When a wiki failed we killed them. When a
particular project does not have what it takes or its function is replaced
elsewhere, it is for its community to go on or go elsewhere. When Wikipedia
does better at news then Wikinews, it is for Wikinews to find its niche.
News and particularly background information to news has been shown one of
Wikipedias strong points. Asking Wikipedia not to do this is plain not
realistic. Cooperation between these projects may be realistic but it is not
assured.

When you indicate that the WMF has to help projects, I disagree. Projects
help themselves, the WMF may and can facilitate. It can do a lot of
networking for the projects but it is the projects and their communities
that will have to do the work. It is people that *do *that make the
difference. When a particular project does a different or a better job,
inside or outside the WMF framework, people will find it, recognise this.
The most important thing the WMF can do is facilitate, make sure that
connections between like minded projects exist. Help in mashing the data
that exists in so many places and make it gell together. Because THIS is
what the WMF is there for; providing people with information, not to save
projects at any cost.

Many projects have started based on the Wiki concept outside of the WMF.
Many of them are as relevant or more relevant then WMF projects. They are
however not our competition, they share with us and are part of the Wiki
ecosystem. All these projects compete in a way and fill their niche. The
notion that the WMF should safeguard its projects from other projects is
self defeating; when projects lose their relevance inside or out, their
readers, their editors their community will evaporate and there is little
that an organisation can do about it.
Thanks,
     GerardM