[Foundation-l] Localisation of MediaWiki

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 08:32:02 UTC 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 7:26 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Several members of the language committee are extremely unhappy with
> Pathoschild's sorry show of doing this on his own accord. They have
> indicated that they will block final approval for any project by going
> back
> on this necessary part of the policy.
>
> Again, there are two parts to the policy.
> * When a language is starting it only needs to do the most used messages
> of
> MediaWiki. This provides basic support for a language.
> * When a project request is a subsequent project for a language, all
> MediaWiki messages and the messages of the extension used by the WMF are
> required.

Gerard, you acknowledged before that this is unfair - I agree, and, to me,
it doesn't seem to make any sense. Why not allow second and subsequent
projects open with the same requirements as the first and, as you said,
encourage pan-project language communities to develop the localisation
process as an ongoing project?

Cormac