[Foundation-l] Localisation of MediaWiki

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 10:17:30 UTC 2008

Hoi,
When a second or subsequent project is requested for a langauge, there is a
requirement for a full localisation of the User Interface. This does benefit
all people who use their language in projects like Commons, Meta.. The full
localisation means all MediaWiki messages and all the messages of extensions
used in the Wikimedia Foundation.

In the request for the Japanese Wikiversity, there were complaints that it
is unreasonable for the people requesting a new project to have to do this
work. It is indeed not fair. It is for this reason that I ask all Wikimedia
editors to help out with the missing localisations. There are few moments
when we can make requirements and thereby ensure the quality of the
localisation. This helps our readers, our editors in doing what we all want
them to do; read and create good free content.

Thanks,
     GerardM

* BetaWiki <http://translatewiki.net>
* Statistics of the localisation per