[Foundation-l] Litigation costs

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Jan 12 09:11:38 UTC 2008

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> A practical question. Given the size of Wikipedia and Commons what would you
> expect practically from someone to do? The only realistic option for
> ensuring that our projects are usable within the confines of our license is
> when we make sure they. It is our responsibility. I could even argue that we
> fail the provisions of the license when we don't.
Copyright law has become extraordinarily complex in the internet age.
It became what it is because it grew up at a time when a lot of things
which can now be done were unrealistic bordering on the impossible.  A
century ago duplicating and redistributing whole books for altruistic
purpose was far more ridiculous than illegal.  If you wanted to breach
copyright some economic motivation was almost essential.  The United
States laws that required simultaneous publication of a work in the U.S.
using U.S. printers were tantamount to legalizing the infringement of
foreign copyrights through the extraterritorial application of U.S.
laws.  The U.S. has gradually come more into line during the last half
of the twentieth century.

The U.S. still has some peculiarities, but so too does Europe, with
moral rights and database protections, or the inalienability of an
author's rights.

The internet has made the impossible possible.  Major copyright owners
can still win tactical courtroom battles, but their strategic prospects
in the wider war are not that great.  We can never be absolutely sure
about the legality of any act.

We need to distinguish between our collective and individual
responsibilities.  While we should be very conservative about our
collective responsibility, we also need to allow contributors to accept
individual responsibility.  Someone who insists that he wants to go much
further then we collectively think wise can be given that opportunity if
he accepts the responsibility up front.  He cannot hide behind
anonymity; he needs to understand that if the Foundation gets a proper
takedown order it will comply, and that beyond that point dealing with
the copyright owner will be entirely his problem.

Ec