[Foundation-l] thoughts on leakages

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jan 11 22:55:42 UTC 2008

Florence Devouard wrote:
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:

>>> Actually, my memory of the discussion was that Jan-Bart was more in
>>> favor of a 12 months waiting period... but the minutes report 6
>>> months... which means at least 2 members were not fully happy. And
>>> Jimbo's opinion was missing.
>>> In any cases, we tend to try to reach consensus when it is seems best
>>> to. There was a weak consensus or a slight disagreement.
>>>
>> Okay, just out of curiosity here, maybe I am dredging out something you
>> might not want to revisit, but I recall Angela resigning from the board,
>> because she was disillusioned with the way the board was in fact quite
>> decidedly steered away from consensus driven decision making.
>>
>> Can we now construe this statement by you, Florence Devouard, that
>> steering away from consensus driven decision making on the board was
>> a mistake?
>>
> I have always been a supporter of decisions taken by consensus rather
> than votes. You may remember heated discussions on this matter in the past.
> I must also admit that consensus is not always the best choice, when
> decisions drag forever. In a legal organization, we can not always drag
> forever. We have to move on.

Was it really ONLY about the length of the waiting period?  If four
wanted six months, and two wanted twelve months, did no-one have enough
imagination to propose eight months?  That situation is like refusing to
buy a horse because his curly tail suggests that there was a pig in his
ancestry. Consensus on the principle needs to be accompanied by
compromise on the details.  Demanding unanimity at every step of the way
will drive consensus into failure.
> This said, I already stated to Angela that I was sorry of what lead her
> to resign.

I'm not touching that.
>>> I have vague memories. I think Mike recommanded to have it a bylaws
>>> update.Yes Note that voting a resolution can be real quick and
>>> straightforward. Bylaws update is a little bit more demanding.
>>>
>> Well, this is very not clear, as you can well imagine. Maybe in addition
>> of minutes, you should make private notes, so your memories are not
>> so vague. The order of events here is very important, and quite decidedly
>> obfuscated in the preceding paragraph.
>>
> In october 2007, I was the chair of this organization. Not its
> secretary. It is not very easy to chair a two days meetings, be involved
> in the discussion as well AND take notes. I beg your pardon, but I think
> this is exactly why there are two positions, secretary and chair.

Absolutely.  "Private" notes should be nothing more than aide-mémoire
for your own personal reference in the future. The inference that the
minutes may not be accurate boggles the mind.  If there were doubts
about the accuracy of the minutes would this not have come up at the
subsequent meeting when the minutes came up for adoption?

I don't think that it's absolutely essential to have such a resolution
in the by-laws; if it proves itself workable it can always be moved to
the by-laws later.  I agree that the possibility is there that a Board
of the future could too easily repeal an ordinary resolution if a
favourite candidate is ill served, but I will assume enough good faith
to believe that such a board will have the political common sense to not
go there without the broad support of the community.
>> I think you got EC:s suggestion backwards. His idea was that the board
>> would propose and decide, but the council would approve. It isn't implicit
>> what would happen if the council would vote down a decided change in
>> the bylaws. As I see it, the disapproval would not mean the change could
>> not be implemented by the board, but it might usefully force the board
>> to reconsider, and re-vote on it. This is a very usual parliamentary custom.
>>
> ok
>
> I think it would put a very huge pressure on the wikicouncil constitution...
To clarify, I don't take any position yet about whether the Council
should propose by-laws and the Board ratify, or vice-versa.  I simply
proposed joint responsibility over the by-laws.  It would be premature
to establish this kind of detailed mechanism before such a Council is
even set up. The most that I can legitimately propose around this is
that it be a priority item for its agenda when it first meets.

Ec