[Foundation-l] Rollbackersaurus attacks en.wiki

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 20:09:28 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 11:54 AM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
> A summary, for those who are completely lost:
>
> Recently developers added the ability for admins on the English Wikipedia to
> grant rollback rights to non-admin accounts.
>
> This followed a large discussion and vote on enwiki in which ~2/3 of
> participants favored this feature
[snip]

It's also the case that only one option was offered in that particular
poll "admins can grant/revoke rollback from others". A lot of the
critics of the current behavior are pointing out issues with wheel
warring (which is already happening) and additional bureaucratic
overhead.  Many of those people would prefer an rollback be granted
automatically, like page moves.

Considering that rollback is just a faster version of edit, just as
move is a faster (and less problem causing) version of edit+ copy and
paste, that makes sense to me.  I was sold when I saw a user since
2005 in good standing rejected because he used the wrong template to
apply for rollback, and the wheel warring. :)