[Foundation-l] Community representation

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:28:49 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 6:57 AM, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008 3:33 AM, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Also, it is strange that the community can put people to the Board but
> > can't take them back. Maybe the argument is that you simply don't vote
> > for them at the next election.
>
> I am curious where "in the real world" there is this possibility. In
> the countries I live(d) in, I can't think of any process allowing to
> "vote someone out" once you've voted them in.
>
> Any examples?

Recall elections (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_election) are a
feature of some democratic systems.  Currently 18 of the 50 US states have
recall provisions for statewide elected officials.

Generally, a recall initiative is triggered by citizens presenting petitions
for removal of an elected officials with some necessary number of
signatures.  California, for example, requires a number of signatures equal
to at least 12% of the total votes in the last general election.  After a
petition is certified, a question on removal requiring majority approval
would be added to the next election or in some cases a special election is
held.

-Robert A. Rohde