[Foundation-l] Community representation

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 02:33:52 UTC 2008

On 11/01/2008, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know if I have the concept of a wikicouncil
> > right either, but
> > I imagine it as a good thing to get more project
> > editors interested in
> > (or at least aware of) "meta issues", foundation
> > issues. Then what do
> > they do after they are interested? The answer to
> > that currently is
> > "..."
>
> You seem to imply that interest in meta issues should
> be followed by actual volunteer participation outside
> the wikis.

Hm, I didn't mean to give that impression. I am still only thinking
about the online realm.

I started thinking about this when there some discussion about how the
community could get rid (or, "express their disapproval" perhaps) of
an elected Board member if they wanted to. There is no mechanism for
it. Florence's comments on the matter were to the effect that if we
(community) just hassle/harass/annoy them enough they will quit. At
least that is the way I understood it. And I really, really, really
dislike that idea.

I don't have a problem with any of the current board members. But
there may be a situation in the future where I and others do. I want
some route other than the personal one, to be able to express that.
Not having any mechanism for that just seems like an invitation for
potential nastiness for board members.

Also, it is strange that the community can put people to the Board but
can't take them back. Maybe the argument is that you simply don't vote
for them at the next election.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/