[Foundation-l] thoughts on leakages

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 10:14:55 UTC 2008

Hi!

> Regardless of why people leak, it still feels like you're being
> dudded, to find out information through unofficial or even hostile
> channels. It seems like something has been out of balance of late.

In any organization there might be private stuff, simply because we
have to deal with other organizations.
Though Wikimedia is essentially quite open, other organizations
respect confidentiality, because of many reasons. Because they want
to stay in business, because they are publicly traded and have to
follow quite a bunch of regulations, or simply because they want to
help us without too much of bragging and boasting, or just want to
prepare for nice publicity, by doing lots of nice work. If we deal
with folks, we'd have to respect their wishes, if they respect ours.

Wikimedia does love competition, and can disclose lots of things it
is doing - like our operations are by far one of most open. We end up
discussing lots - and achieving together lots.

Now, any leak makes people sad.
That means that people you'd love to trust, are doing something you
wouldn't do.
That means that people you spend your time communicating to end up
backstabbing with their "journalism".
That means that projects you keep supporting end up telling that
"hey, we leaked, this is our featured story". Sorry, folks, if thats
the only way you can feature yourself, I'd suggest finding other
things to do. At least I really would like not to waste my time at
tabloid activities. There's more sense in supporting Pokemon articles.

I understand when information about acts against humanity are
revealed. Frauds, scams, whatever.
But now it was just taking a piss at people doing their job and
trying to get projects supported, extended and elevated.

Meh, anything foundation does has to get community support anyway.
People should at least allow to package raw ideas into proposals.

My personal opinion - with a flavor of sadness. Though it is not all
that bad yet - we can still maintain absolute trust with quite a few
people in the project. :)

BR,
Domas

--