[Foundation-l] IYL'08: Moratorium on deleting language projects?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 00:46:46 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Where you write that the motivations for language projects differ, you give
exactly one of the best reasons why in my opinion there are solid reasons
not to have too precise and fixed rules. For some languages you may want to
be a bit more lenient when you have reasons to do so. In the end it is a
balance and when the balance is right, you want to be able to approve a new
project.

Having a good localisation is not red tape. It is in my opinion essential to
make it easy for readers of the language. Having five editors is imho a more
iffie requirement, you have to appreciate though that we have had several
projects that were maintained by one person and this led to problems like
the language not being the language as advertised, the project losing
momentum when that single person leaves. The object of the requirements or
red tape if you will is that our new project have a better chance of not
losing some momentum.

As to the policy, the existing policy has been approved by the board, they
give permission to start projects on the recommendation of the language
committee. As to the people on the LC, most are self appointed bosses then
again there is quite a group of people in the LC most of them are not really
active. The LC is not involved in existing projects. That was explicitly
stated at the start. So we are not involved in closing projects. I am happy
to say that projects will not be killed but can become part of Incubator.
This gives at least criteria before a language version of a project can be
restarted.

So to conclude, I am happy to discuss motivation for specific situations. I
am however not happy to have more firm and formal rules. Every language is
different and in the end it is a matter of balance. In this we also learn
and this changes how we express opinions (we hardly ever vote).

Thanks,
    GerardM