[Foundation-l] The foundations of the Wikimedia Foundation (was: Wikimedia Council)

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 00:36:17 UTC 2008

effe iets anders wrote:
> Florence, thanks for your considerations.
>
> If I read correctly, you compare a wikicouncil in the WMF structure
> (so not the meta-arbcom type, as that is imho in the community
> structure) with a parliament. I tend to disagree with this comparison,
> and I'll try to explain why.
>
> In a democratic state, a parliament (or actually the people) is the
> Final Authority. The Parliament hires and fires government, which in
> their turn hires and fires the rest of the system. But at the end,
> they have to listen to the Parliament. The Parliament has a few very
> powerful tools, and can send the Government home. The Parliament makes
> laws, and can set rules. The Parliament is also the only institution
> that can change the relationships between the different bodies. The
> body which can change these relationships and tools, is to me the
> Final Authority.
>
> In the Wikimedia Foundation (excluding the community (I take here only
> the officially existing bodies), the Board of Trustees is the Final
> Authority.  The Board writes bylaws, and hires and fires staff. The
> Board appoints the committees, and the Board can appoint members of
> the Advosiry Council. I think we agree that the Board of Trustees
> should remain the Final Authority, also if a Wikicouncil would come in
> the game. That makes it for me that I do not really like the
> comparison with the parliament.
>
> I think that it is also better to let the Board of Trustees,
> preferably with both volunteers and professionals in it imho, stay the
> Final Authority. The idea is that the Trustees are to be "trusted". We
> put wise people together, and build in certain control mechanisms such
> as a majority (or pseudo-majority, with a trusted professional making
> the majority) of members elected by the community.
>
> If we would want to give the community full authority directly over
> the Final Authority, I think we chose the wrong model with a
> Foundation, and we should switch to a membership organization. Then
> the members (the Wikicouncil?) would be the Final Authority.

I can immediately say that I should not have used the term parliament,
because it clearly represent different things for people :-)

In my country, which is a democratic state amha, the Parliament
absolutely NOT hires and fires government. God forbid !
The Government is headed by the president. The president is elected by
the citizen, by direct voting system. Once the president is elected, he
select his government. And the president can also fire and replace the
entire government. That's his job. The Parliament has nothing to say here.

The Parliament is also elected by citizens, by direct voting.

It may happen that the majority of the Parliament is on the right side.
Whilst the President is on the left side.

I have no idea really what is the final authority in my country.
Certainly NOT the Parliament. I would say the Cour Constitionnelle.
Perhaps. In the USA, the Suprem Court ?

Whatever.
I think you are hitting this point because you do not give enough
granularity to the various roles we are considering. Right now, I do not
consider the board a final authority in everything. Sure enough, it has
probably the final authority in deciding whether to vote the budget of
the organization or not. But the WMF board has no final authority to
approve the budget of Wikimedia Deutschland. And the WMF board has no
final authority to decide whether an article should be in that version
or in another, unless it is threatened legally (host provider
responsibility). It has no special authority to decide whether a bugger
should be banned or not. It has no final authority to decide a person
should be made sysop or not. It has no final authority when the
community decides to have a wikimeet or to hold a wiki contest for the
best article.

For your proposition below, I'll give it a couple of days of thinking.

Ant