[Foundation-l] IYL'08: Moratorium on deleting language projects?

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Thu Jan 3 20:21:53 UTC 2008

I am not really sure that I agree with the idea of the moratorium, since
the projects nominated for deletion are really those not active for years,
former one-editor projects where the only editor has lost interest. Those
with the slightest activity are not deleted, with the exception of clear
fraud like ru-sib.

I agree though that clear and transparent rules must be established for
the release of the projects from the incubator. I feel that now the rules
are on the harsher side, so that many projects which made it couple of
years ago and can be now considered to be moderately successful, would not
have a chance now. Even worse, the rules seems to change quickly and
without notice, and are applied retroactively. For instance, Sakha
Wikipedia was conditionally approved in 2006, then the rules were changed
and they were told to translate the interface, and when they translated
the interface, the project was still not open since the rules were changed
again to require five active editors. I know that this really makes people
extremely frustrated, and I will not be surprised if the whole project
gets abandoned just because it stays in the Incubator for years.

Cheers,
Yaroslav