[Foundation-l] NLT and UCMJ

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 3 10:49:23 UTC 2008

I'm probably missing something, but it doesn't seem to me to be a
legal threat if one editor notifies another editor that the latter's
participation may raise UCMJ or regulations problems.  This is not the
same thing as threatening to sue. Nor does it strike me as a legal
threat to note that some members of the armed forces may be compelled
by UCMJ or related regulation to report on-wiki activity that looks
like a serviceman (or servicewoman) violating regulation or policy.

To me, a legal threat would look something like this: "If you don't do
X (or cease doing Y), then I'm going to report you to the authorities
and get you in trouble with your CO."   It would *not* look like
this:  "I'm just letting you know that your participation in this way
may create problems for you under the UCMJ or regulations, especially
because some of us are obligated by that legal framework to report
apparent violations."

--Mike