[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Legal obligation to report Wikipedia editor under UCMJ (Mike G weigh in?)

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Jan 2 21:32:58 UTC 2008

Matthew Brown wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008 10:45 AM, Chad <innocentkiller at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We punish editors for obeying the law? Wow, standards /have/ dropped.
>>

> If someone is under a legal obligation to do something, then they
> should do it.  We are not even contemplating otherwise.  However,
> there are correct ways of handling such an obligation.

It should also not be viewed as a choice whether to "punish" people or
not. The Arbitration Committee is tasked with resolving disputes to keep
the English Wikipedia functioning and serving its mission, not with some
sort of meting out of justice.

It's quite possible that certain people's real-world legal obligations
are simply incompatible with how we'd like English-Wikipedia admins to
act, in which case it's best for everyone involved that they follow
their real-world legal obligations but not be an English-Wikipedia admin
in order to avoid this conflict.

-Mark