[Foundation-l] Status of cloak requests

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 14:54:13 UTC 2008

The underlying problem with that is they are also able to tell
legitimate complaints no.  It beholdens one of the methods of the
Foundation's communications (official or not) to a 3rd party's
policies, with zero oversight or enforcement from the foundation. And
then, we're presented with problems like relying on a third party to
protect our privacy with cloaks; newcomers that are disgusted and
turned away by coming into our channels and seeing bot attacks that we
are hamstrung from preventing due to stupid restrictions on ops by
freenode; group contacts that have been criticized as being
unavailable and unhelpful; drama involving logging policies etc.

We could bypass all of this by simply hosting the IRC server ourselves.

-Dan