[Foundation-l] Wikimania and the Muhammad pix

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 17:46:20 UTC 2008

On 23/02/2008, Ben McIlwain <cydeweys at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sweet Christ, can anyone remind me how in the hell we ever decided on
>  Egypt in the first place?  Was that when the probability of being killed
>  by terrorists was equally rated with the desire to not host Wikimania on
>  the same continent two years in a row?

The Egyptian government is not going to allow tourists to get killed
by anyone. Have you any idea what it would do to their economy?

>  Face it, Egypt shares very little of the same values that we do
>  (especially the whole "not censored" part).  There is a significant
>  chance of violent protests breaking out, potentially bringing harm to
>  our conference and our participants.

In Egypt? Peaceful protests maybe. Wahhabism  hasn't really caught on
in the Egyptian population and the government doesn't exactly support
it's growth.

>  Torino doesn't look so bad anymore, huh?

Because of course wikipedia has never done anything to upset the mafia
or the red brigade.
--
geni