[Foundation-l] Wikistats is back

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Wed Dec 24 23:31:12 UTC 2008

Nice work Erik!

I am still quite shocked at the amount of time the english wikipedia takes
to dump, especially since we seem to have close links to folks who work at
mysql. To me it seems that one of two things must be the case:

1. Wikipedia has outgrown mysql, in the sense that, while we can put data
in, we cannot get it all back out.
2. Despite aggressive hardware purchases over the years, the correct
hardware has still not been purchased.

I wonder which of these is the case. Presumably #2 ?

Cheers,
Brian

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Erik Zachte <erikzachte at infodisiac.com>wrote:

> New wikistats reports have been published today, for the first time since
> May 2008. The reports have been  generated on the new wikistats server
> 'Bayes', which is operational since a few weeks. The dump process itself
> had
> been restarted some weeks earlier, new dumps are now available for all 700+
> wiki projects (with the English Wikipedia as the usual exception). From now
> on the wikistats reports will be updated much more frequently. The actual
> processing of any new dump starts soon after the dump becomes available,
> results will be stored in intermediate files. Once a week updated reports
> will be published.
>
> Much more on this at http://infodisiac.com/blog/2008/12/wikistats-is-back/
>
> Happy holidays everyone.
>
> Erik Zachte