[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Commons-l] Making Wikimedia Commons less frightening

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:09:41 UTC 2008

Hoi,
If you want to hear that Commons is not completely useless because people
can use a dictionary, I grant you that. However Commons is still considered
to be useless by several Wikipedias who do not promote its use. I also
consider this argument lame.

When the categories of Commons are shown in the language selected in the
user preferences, when the search engine is dependent on this same
selection, Commons actually provides a service for people who do not read
English. By enabling people to make effective use of Commons you create the
base for people to put up with all the perceived nonsense from Commons.

Perceived nonsense because Commons has to walk a different thin line between
what is acceptable to it and what is acceptable elsewhere The "Virgin
killer" picture cannot be found on Commons because Commons does not accept
"fair use". Just one of the differences between the en.wp policies and the
Commons policies.
Thanks,
       GerardM