[Foundation-l] Annual Fundraiser 2008 update

Rand Montoya rmontoya at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 8 18:52:04 UTC 2008

Hey All--

A couple of updates on the Annual Fundraiser:

1) A quick update of the community giving stats (gifts less than
$10,000) for the first 35 days of the fundraiser:

2007: 31,956 donors giving a total of $895,405.01. Average gift is $28.02.
2008: 53,519 donors giving a total of $1,542,543.41. Average gift is $28.82.

We're holding steady about $27K to $30K per day. More and full stats
here: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:ContributionStatistics.

2) You can find the latest post about our site notices here:
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2008/12/06/site-notices-people-actually-read-them/

Long blog post short: People do read the site notices. Sounds crazy, but
they do. Our messaging matters. People love the "Wikipedia is there when
you need it - now it needs you"...whereas "Wikipedia: Making Life
Easier" has not done as well.

3) Next few site notices were delayed, but will be going live this week.
The first two are here:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=2008_scales
(left messaging to be tested/changed)
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=2008_wikipedia_has_helped_meter

We should have two more live by mid-week.

4) In addition to getting more site notices up, we will be working on
increasing our conversion rate (the rate for which donors give after
they click on a banner). Right now our conversion rate is dropped
steadily since the beginning of the fundraiser. It started at 12% or so
and now stands closer to 3.5%. I'll be working with a few tweaks to try
to push this up a bit...try to close the sale and get those who are
thinking about donating to donate.

I appreciate all that have contributed ideas and thoughts. You'll be
seeing some of those ideas soon.

Rand Montoya
Head of Community Giving

--
Rand Montoya
Head of Community Giving
Email: rand at wikimedia.org
Phone: 415.839.6885 x615
Fax: 415.882.0495
Cell: 510.685.7030

“At some future time, I hope to have something witty,
intelligent, or funny in this space.”