[Foundation-l] 80% of our projects are failing

Patricio Lorente patricio.lorente at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:29:15 UTC 2008

2008/12/1 geni <geniice en gmail.com>:
> 2008/12/1 Fajro <faigos en gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:08 PM, geni <geniice en gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No. You can argue for the tolerance of minority languages but actively
>>> promoting them conflicts with Wikimedia's stated objectives.
>>
>> How?
>>
>> Do you edit wikipedia to give "Free Access To All Human Knowledge"
>> only to the educated elite?
>
> "The mission of the Wikimedia Foundation is to empower and engage
> people around the world " first line of the mission statement. By
> actively promoting minority languages you lock more people into them
> which is not consistent with trying to empower them.

A curious statement, wich I strongly disagree. Promoting the
development of minority languages means to promote new skills in the
people who talks this languages, to help them to build online content
in this languages, to put knowledge closer to this people, etc. etc,
and all this means to "empower and engage people around the world".

                                                         Patricio

--

Patricio Lorente
Mensajería Instantánea: patricio_lorente en jabber.org