[Foundation-l] Wikimedia UK v2.0

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Aug 30 05:26:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/8/30 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> > What types of activities do you have planned that would require outside
> > funding?
>
> At present none because no such funding exists. Nor does any chapter
> exist to do anything with it. Given the failure of the previous
> chapter to complete setup distractions from the goal of setup are not
> exactly welcome at this time.

I think you got the cart before the horse.  Who's going to donate money to
someone who doesn't have any plans for what to do with it?  How can you set
up a chapter when you don't have any idea what its purpose is?

Still if you insist:

Thanks.  My questions weren't meant as rhetorical.  I'm truly interested in
the answers.

> There are others. Finding ways to spend money is never hard.

Well, yeah, but finding ways to spend money that are going to attract
strangers to donate money is, at least it is to me!

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> > What types of activities do you have planned that would require outside
> > funding?
>
> Whatever the community can think of. I haven't given it a great deal
> of though myself in anything more than general terms. I see the
> chapter as existing to facilitate the ideas of the community, there's
> no need for those running the chapter to come up with the ideas.

I'm sorry, but that seems incredibly strange to me.  It sounds like a Monty
Python skit.  "Why do you want to form a chapter?"  "Because that's the only
way to protect funds."  "Why do you need funds?"  "Because if we didn't have
funds, the chapter wouldn't serve any purpose."  "So what is the chapter
going to do?"  "Not sure yet, we need to set up the chapter in order to
figure something out."

Good luck though, honestly.  And I hope you don't take my last paragraph as
rude.  I know I'm exaggerating what you've said in this thread, and taking
things a bit out of context.

Anthony