[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Wikimediaau-l] Wikimediaau-l Digest, Vol 26, Issue 17

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 06:18:44 UTC 2008

Well, I've not seen the beginning of this thread or what prompted this
comment that David sent along... but whoever is implying that any of
the Wikimania jurors has ever voted against a location because it was
inconvenient to themselves -- or voted for a location simply because
it was convenient to themselves -- is both misinformed and rather
confused. If anything, past complaints [from various people located in
various countries] have been that members of the jury didn't do enough
to produce a convenient location for participants*. Regardless,
location has not been the deciding factor the last few years [it has
been one of many factors], nor do I think it should be in the future**
-- though a lively debate can assuredly be held on that point if you
get ten Wikimaniacs in a room.***

And no, you're not going to find a definitive description of what
Wikimania is for on meta or anywhere else, because beyond a basic
agreement that it's a community conference for people interested or
involved in Wikimedia Foundation activities, there isn't one. That
question is still very much under debate, and is certainly a suitable
topic for Wikimania-L.

phoebe ****

* Jimbo's pretty popular, but he hasn't yet been able to secure our
own private [[dreamliner]] to transport conference attendees around
the globe. Drat!
** personally, I really don't care where the next conference is after
buenos aires as long as it meets the requisite needs for conferencing
and it is possible to buy an air ticket there. Though I have always
wanted to go by boat. Wikimania ahoy!
*** barring a handy room being available, I suggest wikimania-l.
**** who lives close to the eastern U.S. only in that way that people
in Melbourne live close to Perth, thank you very much.

<at> gmail.com *