[Foundation-l] PD-art and official "position of the WMF"

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 14:00:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 9:54 AM, effe iets anders
<effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> Besides the law for where the servers are, you always have to abide
> the law yourself :) If it is not allowed in The Netherlands to do
> something, I doubt you can just do it here, because it is on US
> servers :) So, multiple laws I guess.

There's also a difference between the users of content, and the
reusers of content. If you take something that is illegal in your
country and try to reuse it, publish it, sell it, you're going to get
in trouble no matter where our servers are located. I doubt there are
going to be too many problems for our casual readers, how much trouble
can you get in for reading a webpage which contains images that are
illegally licensed?

When some country tries to sue the WMF over these infractions, the
location of the servers is going to be a much more important issue.

--Andrew Whitworth