[Foundation-l] The Wikimania of my dreams

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 16:27:39 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net> wrote:
> Milos Rancic wrote:
>> I think that it is more than possible to make one central event and a
>> number of events all over the world at the same time. All of the
>> places would be connected via video links as better as it is possible.
>>
> With or without video, though of course it would help, I think the idea
> of simultaneous events in multiple locations would be interesting to
> pursue. A second location wouldn't easily leap up to the level of
> Wikimania, though. And I hope we wouldn't simply reduce things to
> broadcasting Wikimania proceedings to other venues (closer to having an
> "audience" than including other parts of the "community").
>
> It might be good to build this kind of capacity organically, the way we
> have done other things. Perhaps two of the various meetups that happen
> regularly around the world would like to coordinate with each other as a
> first run. That could be a fun experience and an opportunity to get
> involved at the very earliest stages of something.
>
> --Michael Snow

Maybe a mix would be a happy medium: It's relatively easy to throw a
two-day unconference*, as long as you can find a venue, so the small
Wikimanias could be relatively low-key. They could feature live(ish)
streaming** of, say, the big Wikimania keynotes -- so the people at
the small wikimania could have a shared experience with the big
Wikimania, have something to discuss, be able to send in lots of live
IRC questions, etc. etc. -- but then the rest of the small conference
would be a more hands-on, on-site experience, unconnected to the
larger conference. Sort of like a large meetup, with sleepovers, and a
featured event for part of the day.

phoebe

* you really don't need much for this sort of event: a comfortable,
open venue, wireless, some chairs/couches/mats, coffee/tea, snacks,
and a big piece of paper on the wall for writing session ideas down
on. (see: how to organize a barcamp:
http://barcamp.pbwiki.com/OrganizeALocalBarCamp). Everything else is
just a bonus. Obviously, if there was going to be streaming, also a
monitor/projector/etc.

** this has had technical difficulties in the past but I have faith
we'll get it together.