[Foundation-l] New list admin: Ral315

Cary Bass cary at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 18 18:39:30 UTC 2008

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> Milos Rancic wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Gerard Meijssen
>> <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hoi,
>>> Great idea we might call it a volunteer council :) Maybe this council can
>>> liaise strongly with Cary in stead of making him the head honcho ...
>>> Thanks,
>>>        GerardM
>>>
>>> NB no irony intended !!
>>>
>> There are two different starting points between the Council and the
>> Committee intentions: Council was intended to represent (somehow)
>> community's (or communities') will, while committee is a working body
>> with a particular goal. With or without council, for me it is obvious
>> that we should have a body which manages volunteers' enthusiasm toward
>> higher involvement. (And, according to the size of the volunteer
>> community, this is not a job for one person.)
>>

> It is not a job for a committee either.
>
> I think a better way of looking at the matter would be to
> approach it from the direction of how it looks to Cary;
>
> Is there stuff he would be able to accomplish in his area
> of responsibility if only there were more hours in a day?
>
> Are there things that he personally could not be able to
> accomplish even if there were 72 hours in a day, but some
> other person with complementary skills _might_ be able
> to accomplish?
>
> Or is the situation as Cary sees it such that no matter
> how much time or men you threw at it, pretty much the
> same things would get accomplished, but merely with
> a greater expenditure of people and time?
>
> In short, better than a committee or "squad" or whatever,
> would be to split the task into two or more complementary
> areas of responsibility, *if* that is what Cary thinks would
> be useful.

My opinion?

I think Ral315 is an exceptional choice for list admin!  That's what
this thread is about, isn't it?

- --
Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
Foundation today: http://donate.wikimedia.org
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Phone: 415.839.6885 x 601
Fax: 415.882.0495