[Foundation-l] New list admin: Ral315

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 00:34:22 UTC 2008

Michael Snow wrote:

> I asked because when something like this is brought up so quickly, the
> very natural inference is that it is the real motivation for the
> challenge, not the reason initially stated as a pretense. I observe that
> neither of the existing list admins, and Austin especially, is noted for
> being an especially high-volume poster to the list.
>
> And on a mailing list where people regularly complain about the volume
> of posts detracting from the discussion, it seems rather misplaced to
> consider that kind of activity the primary criterion for those who might
> help moderate. There are enough concerns about "editcountitis" in the
> community, let's not import it from wikis to mailing lists.
>
> --Michael Snow

Michael, there's questionable merit to the complaints that the volume of
posts detract from the discussion, and inevitably the people making
those complaints are always on the top posters for the month list.
Please don't try to import a few people's elitist values to the rest of
the list. It's lead to censorship and moderation in the past, something
that was (rightfully) criticized of the other list admins/moderators.
Whether someone posts a lot should absolutely NOT be a disqualification
for their consideration as a list admin -- in fact, a strong familiarity
and activity with this list and its members should be a requirement. It
certainly would fix some of the issues we've had with the moderation on
this list in the past.

Let me also just say that while my first response to Majorly and Jon's
response was "Holy shit, that's out of line", I think the chair of the
board's involvement in making accusations and imputing motives against
them, as well as suggesting (in not so many words) that people post less
to this list, is even more out of line.

I suggest that this thread dies an immediate, horrible and voluntary
death, and we all move on with our lives and let Ral do his job.

-Dan