[Foundation-l] "Wikidrama" and autonomy of Wikimedia projects

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 00:43:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> That would be odd.  And how does creating a temp account give away one's IP
> to a local bureaucrat?  If there are checkusers on any project that are
> sharing private data, that's another matter.

When I was going through all the SUL unification nonsense, I found it
particularly valuable to have a second global account with an obscure
and unique name, precisely for this reason. I had the second account
precisely because of a naming conflict I had on a few projects, but I
also used it as a bot account and for tests. There are plenty of
benefits to keeping a secondary account around.

--Andrew Whitworth