[Foundation-l] Arabic, a non native language

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 20:06:45 UTC 2008

If we had the 347 most-spoken languages of the world covered (that is,
all those languages with over 1 million speakers), we would still be
missing 6% of the world.

Someone asked on this list once which tiny number of languages we
could translate documents into to reach the whole world. They seem to
forget the Tower of Babel - even with the 75 most-spoken languages,
you're still missing 20% of humans. When you use a more convenient
number like 8, you're missing a whopping 60%.[1]

Of course, all of these statistics ignore the fact that adults on
Earth are only 82% literate.[2]

We have relatively good coverage of about the 100 most-spoken
languages, and after that, it gradually gets spottier and spottier.

Mark

[1] http://www.ethnologue.com/ethno_docs/distribution.asp?by=size
[2] http://earthtrends.wri.org/