[Foundation-l] Note regarding status of privacy policy

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 05:34:57 UTC 2008

private musings wrote:
> hmmm.... can't quite agree with you, Jussi.
>
> I share some of Slim's concerns on this one, though I write more as a
> reprobate whose multiple accounts were detected late last year - also the
> comparison with the animal rights movement's attempts to decentralise made
> sense to me - it seemed like an apt analogy.

Well, it just isn't.

I find it quite laughable that anyone would assume that
a checkuser would be somehow "free as a bird" to do what
they wish in terms of their technical widgets, with no
connexion to the foundation at all. Even suggesting that
is tantamount to FUD in the third degree to my mind.

> Does it really matter if people are checkusered regularly, with a liberally
> low bar, and the information garnered from such checks is shared between
> friends and colleagues equally liberally?
>
> Maybe, maybe not - but I think that's kinda the status quo, and I think
> people deserve the right to question it without being poo pooed - especially
> when it's not really reflected by what's written on the tin at the policy
> pages.
>
> On the other hand - I see this thread's purpose was intended to be a review
> of the new draft of the privacy policy. I think it's an improvement - I
> think the key issues relate to the ways it's implemented - I would like to
> assume for example that some rigour is applied to the assessment of external
> legal claims before IP data is handed over.
>
> best,
>
> Peter
> PM.

Yours,