[Foundation-l] Note regarding status of privacy policy

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 04:36:03 UTC 2008

SlimVirgin wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 10:32 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> In the UK, for
>>> example, the Data Protection Act may require that the information be
>>> handed over on request, and that the UK chapter (insofar as it's a
>>> separate organization) take steps to ensure that it's not used in a
>>> way that causes damage or distress.
>>>
>> What does the UK chapter have to do with it? It *is* a separate
>> organisation and is in no way involved with checkuser results...
>>

> I don't know how or whether the Data Protection Act would apply, but I
> think if members of the UK group were involved in retaining checkuser
> information (and I have no idea whether they are), it would kick in if
> a request were made under the Act. I mentioned it only as an example.
>
> I'm reminded of the animal liberation movement here. They set up
> so-called "leaderless resistance" groups, because they don't want to
> belong to an organization that can be sued or have its assets
> confiscated, but they also don't want to act as lone wolves.
> Similarly, the checkusers don't want to be part of the Foundation (or
> the Foundation doesn't want them), but they also don't want to be
> regarded as third parties under the privacy policy.

Firstly; if it were the case taht you are seriously
reminded by animal liberationists in the context
of wikimedia, you are really really strange. They
are a single cause movement. We are most most
definitely not.

> The legal sleight of hand hasn't worked with animal liberationists and
> I don't see how it can work here either. The courts do find a way to
> hold people and groups responsible for the damage and distress they
> cause, so the best thing is to avoid the damage ahead of time by
> making sure the checkuser and privacy policies are strictly enforced.

This is not even a proverbial (builders will know what part
of the human integument I am talking about) apart from
threatening in a legal fashion on the mailing list to
accomplish a result. Please desist. I ask in the nicest
possible way.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen