[Foundation-l] Note regarding status of privacy policy

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 18:02:48 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> So you are checked. You have to appreciate that by your own words, there
> must be a reasonable suspicion. You even insist that it is published that
> you have been checked. This means that it is now generally known that you
> are under a reasonable suspicion... How nice, that you are now known to have
> a tarnished reputation...
>
> Actually when you are checked, and it is not published that you were
> checked, you are much better off. When everyone can demand checking because
> THEY are suspicious, publication of check results will only increase the
> amount of vigilantism. Really, you are much better off when trusted people
> do their checking and keep their confidences.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I personally don't mind being checked.  Whenever, by whomever, so long
>> > as the results are not disclosed. (disclosure, not checking, is governed
>> > by the privacy policy.
>> >
>> > - --
>> > Best,
>> > Jon
>> >
>> > [User:NonvocalScream]

>> I do believe that checking is covered as well. And if it's not, it
>> needs to be. Checks should only be conducted at least upon reasonable
>> suspicion.
>>
>> --
>> Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.

If I have a "Contact me" email address, I can be easily notified that
I have been checked without "tarnishing my reputation", and I can
choose to make that as public or nonpublic as I like. "You have been
checkusered" by email would result in no tarnishment of a public
reputation while properly notifying the target. Granted, in some
circumstances, suppression of notification may be appropriate, but
such suppression should be logged and justified.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.