[Foundation-l] It is high time we decided upon global Wikimedianprinciples

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 13:09:27 UTC 2008

Hoi,
I am really interested to learn how you come to the conclusion that most
projects are quite mature. If anything given the statistics that are
available to us all I would come to exactly the other conclusion.

   - For most languages the localisation is still abysmal
   - Most projects have so little content, new content or changed content
   that they hardly make a dent in butter
   - More then half of our projects, probably two thirds are not involved in
   issues that have to do with the Wikimedia Foundation, without their presence
   we do not have a clue what we can do for these people these projects.

When you talk about freedom, you have to appreciate that freedom exists in
relation to others. When communities exist of single individuals or small
groups that dominate by pressing their point of view. Several of these
"freedoms" effectively prevent many other legitimate people joining these
projects because they do not recognise themselves in what should be their
project .

While I agree with you that freedom is an important ingredient for the well
being of projects and communities, many projects do not have the size and
the basic set of values that you would recognise as essential for the
success of those projects.

Thanks,
    GerardM